You're here to work alongside other citizen solvers and use our collective superpowers in research, data collection, and our diverse backgrounds, to help uncover answers in the thousands of cold cases that need attention.
Become an Uncovered Citizen Detective
Take your skills to the next level to help solve a cold case
What You Get as a Citizen Detective
- Everything at the community member level plus
- Access to the private Uncovered CommunityInteract with other lifelong learners with a motivation to turn your interest in true crime into action in a safe and inclusive space just for you.
- Access to all tools and resourcesExclusive how-tos, downloadables and resources to dive into case research and be a better citizen detective.
- First access to event registrationBe the first to register for expert trainings, insider discussions and webinars before anyone else.
- Replays of all Uncovered past eventsGet the keys to the Uncovered Knowledge Base to access past events like Public Records Bootcamp and more! Plus, you'll have the luxury to watch all content whenever you want.
- Expert AMAs and research office hoursPrivate office hours with Uncovered's Head of Case Research and access to unique meetups with experts in the field.
FAQs About Membership
Get Started With These Frequently Asked Questions
How does Uncovered membership work?
Becoming an Uncovered membership gives you access to a personal workspace to track and follow cases, and entry into a community for advocates, citizen detectives, and true crime enthusiasts. Here, you can connect with others, share and participate in case research, access tools and resources, and more—all in a safe and inclusive community dedicated to turning true crime interest into advocacy for the murdered and missing.
What plans does Uncovered offer?
As an Uncovered member, you have a choice of two memberships:
- Community Member is a FREE membership that includes access to all cold case information, the ability to view and participate in case discussions, the power to follow cases and receive notifications on case updates, and the uncovered newsletter weekly in your inbox.
- Citizen Detective membership includes everything at the Community Member level, with the added bonus of access to the private Uncovered research community, access to all tools and resources, first access to event registration, replays of all uncovered past events, and entry to expert AMAs and research office hours for $11 a month.
Why does Uncovered cost money?
First, publicly available data on cold cases will always be free to access. This is true and will always be true. We'll never gate this content because the more people who see it, the better.
Second, when you buy a membership to Uncovered, you're supporting a Public Benefit Corporation and helping us pay for technology, salaries for our employees to do case research and build this technology. You're also helping us make partnerships with families, law enforcement, and Citizen Detectives who want to solve these cases.
However, if you want to be a part of what we're doing, but the cost is prohibitive, reach out and let us know. We don't want money to be a reason you don't work with us.
One thing we often hear from our users and partners when we talk about Uncovered is, “Why doesn't this exist already?” We agree! However, one of the biggest obstacles to gathering and visualizing all information about unsolved cases of the missing and murdered is funding. Building a community is serious work, and we want to ensure that everyone is invested.
We're here to find answers, and while some great work does happen on other platforms—it's also interrupted by family vacay pics, MLM offers, or a less than welcoming offer to interact unless you've been there from the jump. We don't believe this is a community for everyone, but for those interested in working alongside others committed to using their collective impact to make a difference in this space, welcome to Uncovered!
What is a Public Benefit Corporation?
Society's most challenging problems cannot be solved by the government and nonprofits alone, but as a Public Benefit Corporation, Uncovered ensures that our work is reflective of the community that we serve and our collective impact.
As a B Corp, we work toward reduced inequality, lower levels of poverty, a healthier environment, stronger communities, and the creation of more high-quality jobs with dignity and purpose. This infusion in the true crime community will ensure we lead with empathy and build the best product and the most engaged community. To do this, we want to be able to recruit, maintain, and pay the best people and use groundbreaking technologies in this space.
By harnessing the power of business, as a B Corp Uncovered will use profits and growth as a means to a greater end: positive impact for our employees, the community, and the environment. You can learn more here.